New Mexico is finally getting some monsoon weather…..boy was it getting dry! It has cut into ride time however we are willing to move over for a bit of mud and moisture.
New Mexico Dressage Association is planning on a shortened show season starting in August with more shows in September and October. The shows are recognized by the WDAA for lifetime points, the USDF for regional awards, and the AQHA for breed points. Sounds like there has been some work put in to get all of that done. Let’s hear it for the volunteers!
New Mexico is offering a youth western dressage buckle again for 2020. The youth, who would be 18 or under in January 1st, 2020 only needs to ride in 3 (or more!) western dressage classes using the WDAA tests and turn in the best three scores over the 2020 season. Feel free to use the contact link at the top of this page for more information.
That leads to great news that one of our favorite places to ride and show horses in Santa Fe/Lamy area is Trinity Ranch. Trinity has a new western trainer who has been to the WDAA World Show! Here is a link to Sophie Hoekstra.
From this year’s Western Dressage Association of America World Show
Over All High Scores:
- Open – Joann Williams on Gallod Ffantastic – 86.111%
- Amateur – Nance McManus on Sheza Hot Pistola – 83.75%
- Junior – Laure Sheets on Fort Knox – 82.222%
Reserve Over All High Scores :
- Open – Scot MacGregor on Extra Daring – 80.6%
- Amateur – Cindy Rau-Sobotka on KBs Timepiece – 79.074%
- Junior – Haley Whittaker on Peppers Temptress – 80.37%
Breed High Scores
- American Sport Pony – Emily Denny on Dante
- American Warmblood – Korbin Eckert on FT Inspired by Gold
- Andalusian – Frances Carbonnel on Jubilee Banjo
- Appaloosa – Laura Marquez on Dressed for Paradise
- Half Arab – Jessie Bonneau on Skies the Limit +/
- Connemara – Marilee Tussing on Roscommon Monday Morning
- Draft Cross – Anna Droegemueller on Pendragon
- Fjord – Catherine Field on Bingse
- Friesian Cross – Patty Couch on PWR Brienne of Tarth
- Grade – Shari Bross on Rowdy
- Gypsy Vanner – Laura Sheets on Fort Knox
- Halflinger – Suzanna Morisse on Sabreena Sue CRHF
- Missouri Foxtrotter – Marcia Corbett on JB’s Absolut Southern Pride
- Morgan – Joyce Swanson on Ghost Rider
- Mustang – James Welch on Little Red Hot
- National Show Horse – Sarah Crouse on Synergy’s Moon Dancer
- Paint – Cindy Rau-Sobotka on KBs Timepiece
- Pinto – Calista Boyer on Stella James
- POA – Linda Roadcap on Wils Arcade
- Quarter Horse – Nance McManus on Sheza Hot Pistola
- Nance McManus on Sheza Hot Pistola
The Paint mare “Truly Unsurpassed” has been replicated by Breyer horse! Her owner, Nancy Conley from Georgia, was told that the mare couldn’t make it in dressage. (I am thinking people shouldn’t tell us horse people “no”.) Truly Unsurpassed made history by becoming the first horse to earn Bronze, Silver, and Gold Medal Awards from the Western Dressage Association of America. She is also the 2017 USEF WDAA Horse of the Year for Level 2.
I hope all of those kids that see the new Breyer model will start thinking and asking about Western Dressage!
We found a GREAT “local” blanket laundry and repair at Desert Sky Ranch. Heather is a no nonsense person that knows just the right thing to help your horse blankets last longer and stay clean. We had a great e-mail from her:
“All of my pricing is online here:http://thedesertskyranch.com/service/horse-blanket-repair-laundry-services/
I will also call you if I think a blanket isn’t worth being repaired and let you make the decision, so there’s no wasting money. Feel free to call me 505-859-2979 when you want to mail or drop off.” Thanks in advance Heather!
Interested in Western Dressage in New Mexico? There is a new website produced by a few enthusiasts that are hoping to help every one that is interested know more about Western Dressage events around the area. Check it out and sign up for their newsletter: www.WDANM.org.